Do you have a BIG idea? Are you looking to spin out from the university or start-up a new company and incorporate within 12 months?
If you answered yes to both these questions then this category is the one for you!
So WHAT is Converge Challenge?
Converge Challenge 2018 is now open for applications. You can use the Apply Now button at the top of the page or click here to enter.
Converge Challenge 2018 is now closed for applications. Best of luck to all applicants!
Converge Challenge brings together ambitious and creative thinkers with innovative ideas to work with industry experts to transform their ideas into sustainable companies operating in the commercial world. Benefits include hands-on mentoring, rigorous training, invaluable business support and networking opportunities to shortlisted applicants.
If you have a big idea and are looking to spin our from a University or Research Institute, or start up a company, then Converge Challenge is for you! This category provides hands-on mentoring, business support and offers a first prize of £70,500 of cash and in kind business support. The total prize fund is £130,000+.
This category also dedicates a £10,000 cash prize to the Design and Creativity Award - aimed at innovative ideas that demonstrate creativity, skill and talent. This Award is applicable to a broad range of sectors and must demonstrate that business growth is dependent upon commercial viability of the innovative aspects of the product or service. All those who progress to the Converge Challenge Top 30 will be eligible for the Design and Creativity Award. Please enter via the standard entry form initially.
The Entrepreneurial Spirit Award recognises those who demonstrate drive, focus and determination in pursuit of their vision and ambition. We honour our budding entrepreneurs with a £1,000 prize. For more on this CLICK HERE.
The Top 30 shortlisted projects receive:
- Three days of intensive business and pitch training
- Business proposition development
- Constructive feedback every step of the way
In addition, the Top 10 projects receive:
- 12-months worth of bespoke training and coaching
Previous project finalists/winners ideas include:
- high-tech scientific sensors
- methods of preventing infections
- next generation treatment of disease
- an eye examination to help clinicians with diagnose psychiatric disorders
- pharmaceutical aids
- golf performance tracking technology
- a personal safety alarm
- a blood test that can detect brain tumours
- innovative ultrasound technology
- a battery powered airflow cushion for wheelchair users
For further information, visit our ALUMNI section.
Who can apply?
A full list of terms and conditions for the Converge Challenge can be found HERE
- All staff and students at any Scottish University or Scottish Research Institution. Students and Staff members should gain permission from their Supervisors, Principal Investigators or Technology Transfer Officer, as appropriate, to enter the Competition;
- Recent graduates from any Scottish University or Scottish Research Institution up to 12 months after graduation, if supported by a University;
- Anyone who meets the above criteria and who has set up a company that has been dormant, non-trading or trading for no longer than 12 months with a secured income (incl. but not limited to grants, investment, loans, revenue, prizes) not higher than £50,000;
- Applicants must intend to establish their businesses in Scotland.