T&Cs Creative Challenge 2019
Converge Challenge (“Converge Challenge”) hosted by HERIOT-WATT UNIVERSITY, a Scottish charity registered under SC000278 and having its principal offices at Riccarton, Edinburgh EH14 4AS (“HWU”) is running a competition entitled Converge Challenge Creativity Challenge Competition (the “Competition”).
The purpose of the Competition is to support the establishment of new companies bringing to the market innovative ideas developed by the Scottish research community. The Competition consists of four (4) phases. These phases are outlined on the Converge Challenge website ( http://www.convergechallenge.com) by providing detail of what is expected of the Entrants at each phase and detailing the packages of support at each phase. Each winner is expected to use the prize awarded to grow the new company.
|Means the Converge Challenge team, hosted by HWU, who manage the Converge Challenge Competition(s) and associated activities. Means the Converge Challenge Creative Challenge Competition.|
|Entrant||Means the individual or team entering the Converge Challenge Creative Challenge Competition.|
|Enterprise||Means a corporate entity, registered at Companies House.|
|External Judging Panel||Means the panel appointed by Converge Challenge for the purpose of the selection of the finalists.|
|Graduate HWU||Means any individual who has graduated from a Scottish University. Means Heriot-Watt University, a Scottish charity registered under SC000278 and having its principal offices at Riccarton, Edinburgh EH14 4AS who host Converge Challenge.|
|Internal Judging Panel||Means the panel appointed by Converge Challenge for the purpose of the initial assessment of the competition applications.|
|Student||Means any student that is currently matriculated at either a Scottish University or Research Institution.|
|Staff||Means any person that is currently employed by a Scottish University or Research Institution by a contract of employment.|
|Terms & Conditions||Means these Terms & Conditions.|
ELIGIBILITY. The Competition is open to:
All staff and students at any Scottish University or Scottish Research Institution. Students and Staff members should discuss their competition entry with their Supervisors, Principal Investigators or Commercialisation Teams and gain permission if the intellectual property is owned by the University/Research Institute or the project is directly linked to the applicant’s research, employment or studies;
2.2 Recent graduates from any Scottish University or Scottish Research Institution (up to twenty four (24) months after receipt of award at graduation prior to application deadline);
2.3 Anyone who meets criteria 2.1 or 2.2 who has set up a Company that has been dormant, non-trading or trading for no longer than twenty four (24) months with a secured income (including but not limited to grants, investment, loans, revenue, prizes) not higher than £100,000, are eligible to apply.
2.4 Applicants must intend to establish and retain the headquarters of their businesses in Scotland.
2.5 Applicants may only enter the Competition with the same idea a maximum of three times in total. After three entries, the idea becomes ineligible for any future entries.
2.6 For Entrants in category 2.3 above, Converge Challenge shall decide, in its sole discretion, whether a company shall meet these criteria.
2.7 Applicants must have the right to reside in the UK.
2.8 Enterprising activity must not involve political campaigning or the advancement of religion.
2.9 If the enterprising activity depends on having premises or land, applicants must already have a lease agreed.
3. JOINT/TEAM applications will be accepted. Only one member of the team must satisfy the condition of eligibility under Clause 2. One team member must be named as the lead Entrant and all other members of the team must be individually named. The lead Entrant will be the point of contact and the assumed prize winner (if applicable), unless otherwise agreed. It is a requirement of the Competition that the Lead Entrant should have a significant input in founding the business.
4. APPLICATIONS. Entrants must, before the advertised closing date, submit the application online at http://www.convergechallenge.com (the “Competition website”) and complete each part of it fully. A brief, clear and convincing outline of the business idea on which the application is based shall be detailed. Applications which are not fully completed before the advertised closing date will not be accepted into the Competition.
5. The same business idea cannot be entered by a person both individually and as a member of a team.
6. Applications must be submitted via the Competition website. The CLOSING DATE for all applications is Thursday 25th April 2019 12 noon GMT. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
7. Entrants must either own or have the right to use and to commercially exploit all INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS, including know-how, related to/involved in the business idea on which they base their application.
8. Converge Challenge shall have the right to require any participant to the Competition to provide evidence of the right to use and to commercially exploit intellectual property rights referred to in Clause 7 above. Failure to provide such evidence may have a detrimental effect on the eligibility of the participant to progress into further Phases of the Competition.
9. Converge Challenge and/or HWU shall have no responsibility for applications lost or delayed in transmission.
10. PHASE 1: Assessment of Applications. A panel constituted of representatives of funding universities chosen by Converge Challenge (the “Internal Panel”) shall evaluate the business ideas outlined in the applications. The Internal Panel shall select up to fifteen (15) Entrants (the “Candidates”) to progress to Phase 2 of the Competition.
11. PHASE 2: Training. The Candidates shall be invited to attend a 3 day training programme in Edinburgh on Monday 10th June, Tuesday 11th June and Wednesday 12th June 2019. During this Phase, an elevator pitch style presentation shall be given by the Candidates on Tuesday 11th June 2019 which shall be judged by their peers. Attendance and participation in the “Pitch to your peers” is compulsory for all Candidates. Any Candidate not delivering an Elevator Pitch presentation shall not be progressed to Phase 3 of the competition and will be disqualified from the Competition completely.
12. The Internal Panel will select up to five (5) business plans under Clause 13.
13. PHASE 3: Submission of business plan, financial forecast and one-minute video pitch. Following the Elevator Pitch Event, all Candidates will be invited to submit an 8-page business plan, financial forecast and one-minute video pitch by Sunday 11th August 2019 at 5pm GMT. Submissions will be assessed by the Internal Panel and up to five (5) business plans will be shortlisted.
14. Entrants or Candidates may not contact any member of the External Judging Panel in relation to the Competition. In the event of any unauthorised contact being made, immediate disqualification will result as will any attempt to influence the judging process.
15. PHASE 4: Final Pitch and Announcement of Winners. The Finalists shall be informed via email and invited to deliver a final pitch to the External Judging Panel, taking place in Edinburgh on 17th September 2019. During this event, the two (2) winners will be selected. The winners will be announced at the Converge Awards Dinner, taking place on the 25th of September 2019 in Dundee. The External Panel will be bound by confidentiality obligations, and will select the winning projects from the shortlisted ones. The investment proposition submission and video pitch shall be evaluated against the criteria published on the Converge Challenge website.
16. In the event of a tied decision by the External Judges, the Chair of the Judging Panel will hold the casting vote to ensure that there will be a single first prize winner of the Converge Challenge.
17. In order for a Finalist to be eligible to be announced as winner, the Finalist must confirm via email his/her availability to attend the Converge Awards Dinner to an email address of which the Finalist will be notified. Finalists can appoint representatives to attend the Converge Awards Dinner and to accept the award on their behalf, on condition that Converge Challenge has previously been informed of such circumstance promptly and adequately.
18. All dates related to the phases/events of the Competition and detailed in the present document are subject to change by Converge Challenge. Any change shall be made public through publication on the Competition website.
19. All prizes are awarded at the discretion of the judging panel and all judging decisions are final and not subject to appeal.
20. By accepting the prize, each winner AGREES to make themselves available to participate in reasonable promotion or publicity events during the upcoming year, including the launch of the 2019 Converge Challenge Competition.
21. The first prize consists of a grant of Twenty Thousand Pounds Sterling (£20,000) plus a package of business support to be determined by Converge Challenge. The second prize consists of a grant of Ten Thousand Pounds Sterling (£10,000) plus a package of business support to be determined by Converge Challenge.
22. All funds will be managed by HWU. All prizes will be final, non-transferable and no cash alternative to in-kind support will be available. Payments shall be made by HWU to Enterprises’ bank accounts only. In order to be able to receive the payment of the cash prize, each winner must comply with the provisions under Clause 24 i) and ii).
23. Each winner shall:
(i) meet with the Finance Department of HWU, within two (2) weeks after the Converge Awards Dinner for briefing on how to record expenditure;
(ii) incorporate a new business Enterprise – which must be Scottish registered and have its principal business address in Scotland – and open a related Enterprise’s bank account by 25th June 2020 at the latest;
(iii) establish a business bank account that shall be demonstrable to the Finance Department of HWU by any means as shall be reasonably required by the afore-mentioned Finance Department;
(iv) spend the grant prize awarded exclusively on items/activities aimed at the realisation of the business plan elaborated by the winner for the purpose of the Competition;
(v) spend the prize awarded by 25th September 2020 at the latest;
(vi) ensure that all expenditure of cash prize money is done through the Enterprise’s bank account;
(vii) keep all receipts of expenditure of the grant awarded and make them and other statements and/or information available to HWU upon request;
(viii) provide confirmation of its VAT status to HWU;
(ix) provide quarterly reports to HWU on how the business is progressing.
24. HWU reserves the right to demand a refund of any monies awarded or any part of it to the extent to which a winner is unable to demonstrate that he/she has fully met the conditions from i) to vii) detailed in Clause 24.
25. At the point of drawing down the financial award, the winner of the Converge Challenge 2019 must ensure that the proposition reflects and is aligned with the original proposition and proposal that was presented to judging panel.
26. The first prize winner is encouraged to use the awarded cash prize to match a SMART Feasibility award. However, eligibility for the first prize is not conditional on the success of any SMART Feasibility award application and Entrants to the Competition acknowledge that there is no guarantee that the winning project will be awarded a SMART funding.
27. By entering the Competition, each Entrant acknowledges that the names of the winners and runners-up will be posted on the Competition website and published in promotional material regarding future editions of the Competition without any further prior notice. By entering the Competition each Entrant VOLUNTARY AND WITHOUT COMPENSATION AUTHORISES such uses of their name for promotional and news purposes related to the Competition by Converge Challenge, HWU, sponsors of the Competition, funders of the Competition and any other party that HWU decides in its sole discretion, without further prior notice. An opportunity will be afforded for the winners to opt out of this publicity and promotion.
28. By entering the Competition each Entrant VOLUNTARY AND WITHOUT COMPENSATION GIVES Converge Challenge PERMISSION for the non-confidential summary provided in the application form, to be used by Converge Challenge and HWU in any reasonable manner it sees fit for the promotion of the Competition without further prior notice. Use shall include use by Converge Challenge, HWU, sponsors of the Competition, funders of the Competition and any other party that Converge Challenge decides in its sole discretion without further prior notice. An opportunity will be afforded for the winners to opt out of this publicity and promotion.
29. By entering the Competition each Entrant VOLUNTARY AND WITHOUT COMPENSATION GIVES Converge Challenge PERMISSION to take and use their photographs and any film footage of their, including voice recordings, to be used by Converge Challenge and HWU in any reasonable manner it sees fit for the promotion of the Competition without further prior notice. Use shall include use by Converge Challenge, HWU, sponsors of the Competition, funders of the Competition and any other party that Converge Challenge decides in its sole discretion without further prior notice. An opportunity will be afforded for the winners to opt out of this publicity and promotion.
30. Save for the provisions under Clauses 28, 29 and 30, Converge Challenge may collect and process the following data about the Entrants: name, e-mail address, address, telephone/mobile number, relationship to the University, photograph. PERSONAL DATA will be collected and processed for the purpose of the Competition. Personal data will not be sent to third parties different from the judging panels for the purpose of reaching a decision. Personal data will be processed and kept in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) and HWU’s Data Protection Policy. HWU’s Data Protection Policy can be accessed at HYPERLINK “http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/policies/data-protection.htm” http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/policies/data-protection.htm and may be updated from time to time to reflect the current legislation in force at any given time, in particular to reflect the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679).
31. The Entrant acknowledges that HWU is a public authority under the terms of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 and had statutory obligations for disclosure of certain information if requested. The HWU Freedom of Information Policy can be accessed at HYPERLINK “http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/policies/foi.htm” http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/policies/foi.htm.
32. All Entrants agree not to disclose any CONFIDENTIAL OR COMMERCIALLY SENSITIVE INFORMATION obtained/disclosed to them throughout the duration of the Competition to any third party who is not subject to these same terms and conditions.
33. Information included in the applications will be kept confidential by Converge Challenge. It will not be used for purposes other than the Competition, without the prior written approval of the Entrant. Only a limited number of persons involved in the organisation of the Competition, including the judging panels, will have access to such information, strictly on a need-to-know basis.
34. Converge Challenge or HWU reserves the right to amend, alter or cancel the Competition without prior notice. Converge Challenge and HWU shall NOT be liable to any prospective Entrant nor to any participant to the Competition for any costs, expenses, loss and/or direct, indirect or consequential damages incurred or arising out the amendment, alteration or deletion of the Competition or its terms.
35. Converge Challenge reserves the right to amend or alter these Terms & Conditions.
36. The Competition is supported by a number of Scottish Universities and Converge Challenge reserves the right to disclose any information relating to the Competition, to the supporting Universities, who shall be bound by confidentiality requirements.
37. Converge Challenge reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant if they reasonably believe that the Entrant has breached any of these terms and conditions.
38. By submitting the application, the Entrant ACKNOWLEDGES that they have read the present Terms & Conditions and WARRANTS that all the information submitted in their application is true and accurate.
39. The Entrant shall procure that in entering the Competition they will comply with all applicable laws, regulations and statutes relating to anti-bribery including but not limited to the Bribery Act 2010.
40. This Competition and the terms and conditions are governed by Scots Law and subject to the jurisdiction of the Scottish courts.